Thursday, February 11, 2010

African Movie Thinking Response

I thought that this movie was pretty interesting. I've never really had an insight into modern African life like this before. I thought that the all-girls school was pretty cool, too.
I agree with the woman teacher in the movie, who said that education--although expensive--is a good investment. It gives these girls more opportunities--even if it's just to help her family more on the farm by applying what she's learned. According to the video, less than only half of the country is literate, and actually being able to read will give you a chance to do something with you life other than chores, helping your family, and eventually getting married, to then have to do more work with your husband's family.
Although the statistic may seems strange, I wasn't very surprised to hear that most girls are married between 16 and 18 years of age. That seems really young, but really, if you can't afford school, it's the only option these girls have. For poor families in Africa, education can't be a priority, because it's simply too expensive. Therefore, girls have to leave their families at a certain age, and get married.
It was interesting to hear that the groom's family has to pay the dowry to the bride's family. That's kind of strange, because in other places like India, usually the bride's family has to pay the dowry to the groom's family.
Overall, this movie was interesting. It helped me understand the daily lives of Africans. I learned many new things, and I actually enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment